Student-athletes from Round Rock, McNeil, and Westwood high schools took home some of the top awards during the state University Interscholastic League (UIL) Swim Meet in February.
From Round Rock, Vincent Ribeiro earned the title of State Champion in the Boys 200 Individual Medley and placed second in the Boys 100 Breaststroke. This is the second consecutive year that Vincent has taken both the State Champion title and the silver medal in these respective categories. Along with his placements, he also earned the title of Boys State Athlete of the Meet.
Overall, the Round Rock Boys team placed 9th.
“I could not be prouder of what the team accomplished this year,” Head Round Rock Swim Coach Thomas Arredondo said. “Our goal is always to have as many swimmers competing at the State Meet as possible, and we discussed that on the first day of school and throughout our season. The swimmers embraced that goal, and the result was the strongest year that Round Rock High School Swimming has ever had.”
Westwood had an equally successful performance as Ayame Castel, Emma Bierley, Sadie Runeman, and KyAnh Truong took home the State Champion title in the Girls 200 Freestyle Relay. This is a massive gain for the team as last year; they placed 6th in this respective category. Truong continued to swim past the competition by placing second in the Girls 50 Freestyle. This is the second year that she has placed in the top three, and last year took the bronze medal in the Girls 50 Freestyle category.
Overall, the Westwood girls team placed 7th in the state of Texas.
“I’m just beside myself with our performance at State,” Head Westwood Swim Coach Matt McBreaty said. “It was a sort of a storybook ending to an already incredible season. This group was just a delight and honor to coach. This one was extraordinary.”
From McNeil, Payton Marvin placed third in the Girls 200 Freestyle and fourth in the Girls 500 Freestyle.
“McNeil Swimming and Diving had an amazing season,” said Head McNeil Swim Coach Johnny Foss. “We have reset our team record board en route to an amazing trip to the UIL State Meet. The Mighty Mavericks have worked so very hard to earn each and every accolade that came their way this season. So proud of them all!”
Additional individual and team awards include:
Round Rock High School
- Karen Yin, Tailyn Schaufelberger, Audrey Dieckert and Brynn Amacher, 10th place, Girls 200 Yard Medley Relay,
- Ryan Mills, 7th place, Girls 100 Butterfly,
- Hannah O’Leary, 7th place, Girls 500 Freestyle and,
- Marko Vujosevic, 9th place, Boys Breastroke.
Westwood High School
- Nathaniel Early, 10th place, Boys 200-Yard Freestyle,
- Caleb Farris 9th place, Boys’ 50-Yard Freestyle,
- KyAnh Truong, 8th place, Girls 100-Yard Freestyle,
- Sadie Runeman, 5th place, Girls 100-Yard Backstroke,
- Emma Greene, Ayame Castel, Sadie Runeman and KyAnh Truong, 9th place, Girls 400-Yard Freestyle Relay and,
- Sonny Wang, Joshua Louie, Caleb Farris, Nathaniel Early, 10th place, Boys 400-Yard Freestyle Relay.