The Round Rock ISD Board of Trustees approved the academic calendar for the 2020-2021 school year during its regular meeting on Feb.28.
Much like the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 calendars, the 2020-2021 academic calendar includes 75,600 operational minutes. A state professional development waiver accounts for 2,100 operational minutes through the use of five Professional Development Days within the school year.
The 2020-2021 academic calendar also includes:
- A school year start date during the third week of August, a full week break at Thanksgiving and two weeks off at Winter Break.
- The last instructional day occurring before Memorial Day.
- Two days of instructional minutes banked in the case of school closures or delays due to inclement weather.
- Professional development/teacher work days/non-student school days in August before the first day of instruction; in October on and near Columbus Day; in December and January on the days leading up to and after the Winter Break; in February on and near Presidents’ Day; and in May after the last day of school.
- Four days per semester of 1:30 p.m. high school early release during high school final exam days.
In addition, daily tutoring will be offered to all high school students from 8:30 – 9:00 a.m. and will begin each semester on the first day of the second full week of classes and continue through the day before final exams.
Before final approval of the calendar, the community had the opportunity to review and provide feedback on two options for the academic calendar from Jan.18 to Feb.3. The options were designed by a calendar committee comprised of District and campus administrators, staff, teachers, and parents and based off of previous calendars and community feedback from the past years. This year’s community feedback, which was reviewed by the calendar committee, indicated strong support for the first draft option as presented. This option was then moved forward as the lone recommendation for approval.
For more information view Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
The Round Rock ISD Board of Trustees also approved amendments to the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 academic calendars during their regular meeting on Feb. 28.
The amendment includes the addition of daily tutoring available to all high school students from 8:30 – 9:00 a.m. to allow for Early Release Days at 1:30 pm on all 4 days of High School Final Exams each semester.
These amendments will begin with the Spring 2019 semester with the documented tutoring starting on March 4 and lasting until the last day before Final Exams in May. During the 2019 – 2020 school year, tutoring will begin each semester on the first day of the second full week of classes and continue through the day before final exams.