Round Rock ISD is seeking parents to serve on a School Safety Committee. The committee addresses school safety in a variety of ways, including strengthening mental health initiatives and ensuring all school district employees are equipped to respond to emergencies. Formation of the committee is in accordance with Senate Bill 11, which requires each Texas public school district to create a School Safety Committee composed of District officials, local law enforcement and emergency management personnel, teachers, and at least two parents.
Five parents — one from each learning community — will be selected to serve on the committee. Parents interested should fill out the intent to serve committee form by Tuesday, March 24, at 5 p.m. A random drawing will determine the parent from each learning community who has been selected to serve on the committee. Committee commitment is for two-years with meetings expected to take place once each during the Fall and Spring semesters, with one additional meeting in the summer. Meetings will last a minimum of two hours.
The committee is responsible for:
- Participating on behalf of the District in developing and implementing emergency plans consistent with the District multi hazard emergency operations plan (EOP) to ensure that the plans reflect specific campus, facility, or support services needs.
- Periodically providing recommendations to the Board of Trustees and District administrators regarding updating the District multihazard EOP in accordance with best practices.
- Providing the District with campus, facility, or support services information required in connection with the safety and security audit, a safety and security audit report, or other reports the District is required to submit.
- Reviewing each report the District is required to submit to the state to ensure that the report contains accurate and complete information regarding each campus, facility, or support service in accordance with criteria established by the Texas School Safety Center.
- Consulting with local law enforcement agencies on methods to increase law enforcement presence near District campuses.
For questions about the School Safety Committee, please email Safety & Security.