Round Rock ISD invites parents and community members to apply to serve as a volunteer member of the School Health Advisory Council (SHAC). SHAC members are appointed by the Round Rock ISD Board of Trustees, each of whom appoint three members.
The council’s purpose is to ensure community values, and local health issues are reflected in the District’s health education policies and instruction.
SHAC committees address all factors of the District’s school health program.
- Nutrition and fitness
- Health education
- Health services and general well-being
- Parent and community involvement
- Healthy and safe school environment
The local school health advisory council’s duties include recommending:
- The number of hours of instruction to be provided in health education
- Health education curriculum appropriate for specific grade levels that may include a coordinated health education program designed to prevent obesity, cardiovascular disease, and Type II diabetes
- Instruction to prevent smoking and substance abuse.
- Appropriate grade levels and methods of instruction for human sexuality education.
Through the SHAC, effective health education, age-appropriate behavior interventions, and injury prevention strategies are created which can:
- Increase academic performance
- Decrease absenteeism and dropouts
- Reduce the risk of premature death
- Decrease healthcare costs
- Improve economic productivity
The SHAC meets from September through May on Tuesday evenings.